Is this the beginning of the end for the Los Alamitos Race Course?

0
Courtesy photo With its glory days now in history’s rear-view window, developers and commercial interests await the final chapter of the Los Alamitos Race Course as voters have authorized an unprecedented transition that will house thousands of new residents in the years ahead.

The City of Cypress is wrestling with the transition of one of the most beautiful open areas of property in the county to a housing development that will shoehorn as many residences as possible into the city.

At issue is the proposed project’s Environmental Impact Report, as the Cypress City Council is expected to continue a public hearing when it resumes its meeting from summer recess Aug. 25.

And, although city officials say it could literally be years before the project begins, there is a push for the Council to approve the project’s EIR, even if the Council voted 3-1not to approve the document just yet and continue the EIR hearings next week.

Mayor Leo Medrano, for the simple reason that he rents on the property (in one of the new residences on the Los Al Race Course campus), recused himself and left the discussion as the Council and citizens tried to make sense of the proposed plan and the resulting Environmental Impact Report.

Mayor Pro-Tem Dr. Kyle Chang ran the public hearing on the Race Course property EIR in Medrano’s absence.

After a three-hour discussion, at its last meeting before the summer recess, the Cypress City Council voted to continue the EIR hearing. Council member Bonnie Peat said she’s heard enough to be supportive and voted not to continue the hearing.

Although its glory is fading, the Los Alamitos Race Course still operates. While most of the betting is online, hundreds of racehorses are kept in stables at the facility and races are regularly scheduled.

The huge tract of green space and facility grounds, approximately 150 acres, is one of the largest open public areas in central Orange County. Currently, there are no plans to close the facility but everyone, including its owners, is planning for a future where almost 2,000 new homes will crowd the space, including thousands of square feet of commercial and public spaces.

By a vote of 13,334 to 9,336, (59% to 41%), city voters approved the city-backed Measure S in 2024. While the measure passed citywide, the measure failed in the District paying the closest attention.

While Measure S passed citywide, it was not approved by the voters of District 4, those who live closest to it and where the massive housing project is located.

Considering that previous ballot measures approved by voters had authorized 1,250 residences on the property, of which 135 have already been built, Measure S authorized an additional 676 residences, bringing the total to 1,926.

Less noticed, but particularly significant, Measure S quietly allowed for the construction of more residences than previously approved, giving developers maximum density on some parcels.

While developers were approved to build 20 units per acre before Measure S, the ballot measure allowed for maximum density of 30 units per acre on all of the acreage in the Town Center project.
Had Measure S not passed, the city would have had to list an additional 766 residences to be built on properties in the Lincoln Ave. areas of the city, the ballot initiative said.

According to Director of Planning Alisha Velasco, it could indeed be years before the development activity begins, and once underway, will take as much as a decade to complete.

Accordingly, Velasco said the existing development agreement under consideration by the Council provides authority for the next 15 years.

“There is no other contemplated timeline within the development agreement except for that it vests these rights and the obligation of the property owner and all future property owners for that 15-year term, so there is no other phasing plan within the development agreement,” she said.

“The first step is that the racetrack would have to close. It would no longer be operational before any of the development could begin,” she said, and the existing grandstand and other infrastructure would be cleared as well.

Some voters suggested to the Council that the plan drafted following the Measure S vote bears no relation to the Town Center plan passed by residents while city officials say it does.

They claim the plan has acres dedicated to public parks and that open spaces within the plan are dedicated to the “commons,” which is the spirit of the Town Center.

Other residents in Cypress are wondering why, if there is no chance of developing the Los Alamitos Racetrack property anytime soon, officials are in such a rush to pass the plan while residents are clearly questioning aspects and impacts of the project.

George Pardon, the director of Citizens for Responsible Development in Cypress, said he thinks once the entitlements are in place, announcements could come much sooner with some of the development out of the ground within two or three years.

Jack H. Rubens, an attorney representing the property owner, assured the Council that the development plans comply with Measure S and were created in harmony with residents.
“Understand that before the voting on both measures, in 2018 and in 2024, there was significant public outreach,” Rubens told the Council.

He and Los Alamitos Race Course Facilities Manager Frank Sherren told the Council that “at least 20 public meetings” with “enormous crowds” of residents attending were held as plans for the development were being formulated.

“There were hundreds of people attending,” Rubens said. “They had lots of concerns and what you see in particular is the response to those comments,” he said.

“The residents felt heard,” he said, “because there was a response to what the residents wanted in terms of public park space and height and number of units and lots and lots of things that were addressed in specific plan 3.0.”

Soon to be developed. Courtesy photo

Their outreach resulted in a majority voting for Measure S, he suggested, adding that the plan, generally, incorporates what they heard from citizens who attended the meetings.

Residents who have spoken about the plan have vastly different opinions about its impact.
Some residents asked developers to preserve 30 percent of the open space for civic engagement, while others say the development solves a housing problem for the city.

Tom Moore (see guest opinion) said if implemented as is, the plan “will permanently destroy the quiet, suburban heart of Cypress.”

“My family moved here in 1965,” he said. “Once we take that track away, punch Moody through here (connecting to Katella), this city will never be the same. This is the last chance for Cypress,” he said.

“Many people didn’t know what was in that measure (Measure S),” protested Moore. “I didn’t know,” he said, “and I follow current information. Where’s the theatre? I want to see a theatre. I don’t see a plaza. Put underground parking. Put something in here for the community,” he pleaded.

Another citizen, Brittany Cook, echoed Moore’s concern about Moody cutting through to connect to Katella.

“Once you get Moody through there, this city will not be the same,” said Cook. “I hear these concerns about traffic and environmental things, and I think they are very valid. Is there something in the middle of the road, where the needs of both sides can be met,” she wondered?

The entire racing infrastructure will have to be torn down before development can begin, city officials sail. City planners say some tenets of the structure, yet undecided, will have to be preserved for historical purposes.
Courtesy photo

Two former mayors and council members said the time for action is now.

“This is the best effort to distribute that impact in a variety of places in the community,” said Anne Hertz Mallari. The state has mandated 4,000 housing units, she said. “Do you put all of those units on Lincoln (Ave.), or do you split it up,” she asked.

“What you’re looking at here tonight is the large portion of it,” said Mallari, “but I do want to remind you that we’re going to be facing this on Lincoln Ave., and we’re going to be facing this in a variety of places throughout the city, so this is the best effort and I think it’s a really an excellent presentation,” she said.

“I believe it is time for the city council to do its job,” said Jon Peat. “The community has made its decision, and I hope you will honor and live up to your word and honor that decision,” he added.

He claimed there is no access to a town center for shopping along Katella or Walker, “so you have to put Moody through to provide greater access for people to get to the Town Center. You told the residents you would listen to them. They have spoken.”

“However, it is not so simple,” says Council member David Burke.

“I just wanted to clarify that this isn’t as simple as the voters approved all this already and all we just have to do is put our rubber stamp down and we can go home,” said Burke.

“There’s new things in this that we’re considering,” said Burke, “and the development agreement in particular is something I’m interested in because it blends how the infrastructure will come into the parks, the maintenance of it, and things like that,” he said,

He said the Council was considering a 30-page document “with appendices or indexes.”

Another concern he expressed is that one of the multi-acre “parks” listed in the plan is also considered a “storm detention basin.” A similar park in Cypress is generally locked behind a chain-link fence and “most people do not even know it’s there.”

Given the open-air needs of this 2,000-unit residential project, people need evergreen access to their public parks, Burke said. He wants assurances on the public’s access to parks.

Traffic will be a problem, said Burke. He also said it defies logic to think the city will add nearly 2,000 new homes in this one concentrated area without traffic problems potentially cropping up.

He questioned Public Works Director, Nick Mangkalakiri, P.E., about the issue.

Mangkalakiri said officials found three key intersections where potential traffic flows exceeded available service and officials are still looking at changes that may have to be made.

“I’m just trying to understand the approach,” said Burke.

Council member Rachel Strong Carnahan expressed strong support for affordable housing within the plan.

“I’m concerned about the affordability housing options, and obviously that’s not up for debate tonight either. But as these lots are sold, if I’m clear on this, we do have the ability to weigh in on usage; what would our ability be to say on what percentage of housing that becomes available is affordable,” said Strong.

Mayor Pro-tem Chang said he wanted sufficient time to resolve “a few other issues brought up by residents that I don’t know if we really have time to process.” He said there was a world of difference between reality and “the legally required notices.”

“I mean, on the one hand, I understand that we have sent out the legally required notices (on the Los Al Race Course) and residents had the opportunity to comment tonight,” the Mayor Pro-tem said.

“Realistically though, I feel like the best opportunity for residents to really understand what this is and what’s going on has been misleading from the presentation they saw and I certainly don’t think it would hurt to allow residents an opportunity to go back and review their information to challenge us, if they have additional feedback,” he said.

“I think it takes a little while to wrap your mind around what’s actually been discussed and decided,” said Chang, “so that’s why I’m open to continuing it,” he said.

“I don’t think people were really paying attention until the last minute,” he said, “so I really wouldn’t mind if we spent a little more time being able to talk to residents about what we’re passing today,” said Chang.

“Affordability, I’m on board with that,” said Peat, “but with reduced costs, someone has to bear that cost,” she said. “It could be the builder but more likely there’s going to have to be participation for the city.”

“I know it’s not perfect,” said Peat, “but we’ve done what we wanted to do, so I’m a yes.”
With that, Strong moved to continue the hearing until the next meeting Aug. 25 (following the summer recess). Strong, Burke and Chang voted yes, and Peat no, so the public hearing on the EIR will be continued at the Council’s meeting next week.

Editor’s note: Velasco said an additional traffic study and many of the documents referenced in this report are available on the city’s website.